Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Another mediocre post

I feel the need to write something, it makes me feel better. Right now I think I'm having a mini panic attack, my chest feels tight and everything has gotten a bit surreal...I've written out the due dates for things in November and...I'm honestly scared. I suppose this happens every year, all the classes love to cram everything right before thanksgiving break, and by the time you get a glorious two day break you're worn out. Still the work ahead seems to have almost "biblical" proportions.

The large project looming now is the term paper. So I think I shall just write out my options and thoughts.

First, writing what I have learned. well there's certainly a lot there, I learned about the more metaphorical language the bible is written in. The P, J, E, D, and R writers and other scholastic type things. Honestly however that seems a bit vanilla to me. I'm sure someone else can write a fantastic paper on that, but I personally can't think of a way to write a good paper on it, mostly just tidbits, and if I could do that well this blog would be far more interesting to read.

So in terms of picking my own topic. I would greatly enjoy writing on folktales and mythologies.

One thought I had was comparing the creation stories with other creation stories in mythologies.

I also had the thought of looking at superstitions and seeing what parts of the bible they might have roots in, but the only thing that really comes to mind is the Lilith story, so I suppose that doesn't count.

Revelation is a book in new testament I like. The only one that I've read all the way through and actually tried to study (before this class)
Maybe comparing those visions with some other apocalypse type myths.

Another part I was interested in was the similarities of modern christian thoughts and images and older icons. for instance there is a theory i know of that satan is stylized after Pan in order to discredit Pan and get more people to turn from paganism to christianity. see similarities with Pan and Satan There's also the stuff like easter, halloween, so on...

Anyone else have ideas dealing with folktales or myths?

No comments:

Post a Comment