Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Slave II

More reading of the slave. I seemed to stop at a good place last time, and now I'm taking a break to write this after Jacob has rescued and brought back to his home town.

The story has really reminded me of Joseph so far. Jacob was a good jew just as Joseph was a good son. They were both sold into slavery and made good slaves, despite the fact jacob was a scholar and knew very little of being a cowherd he ended up with some of the best cows in the town and they both are tempted by a mistress. Then it seems to fall through a bit when the ransom is paid.
I didn't like this part as much. I suppose once he gives in to wanda a lot of the conflict is gone. I suppose I should have been worried for his life as well but I'm a bit of a Meta-reader and was well aware there was much more story to be told. So really I hope it does pick up. I just thought the similarity to joseph was very interesting. I've gotten to the part now where he has gotten back to town and his sister tells him of the tortures...I can be one sick puppy myself. I firmly believe that my study in literature has really desensitized me to some of this stuff, but some of those descriptions had me shocked, and I really needed a break before my imaginaton ran away with me. ew...just....ew.
I do find Jacob's questions to be very interesting. They seem to grow deeper and more troubling as the story continues, but maybe that is my meta reading. We're all okay with joseph being a slave, because in the end it has a purpose for a greater good which we can see, just as jacob's suffering may do that, but Job really bothers perople, me in particular, with the seemingly pointless suffering presented, just as the mass murder of the people of josefov is incredibly disturbing and doesn't seem to have much of a point.

I think I must stop now, those images are getting to me. I will note that the names of the girls tortured had me confused for a moment, for a brief moment I thought they were referencing the terrible things that happened to biblical Dinah and such for reference. I'm not sure if that is very important though, or if it's just to point out similar situations and such.

Also for some random filler. Wanda is a german name which means Kindred. And now you have a useless fact of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment